Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Let's talk about oatmeal.
We all know it's a grain and that it is good for our cholesterol levels, but some of us still despise the slimy bowlful. I converted my boyfriend to loving oatmeal and he detested it for 56 years.
I believe there are two keys to yummy oatmeal. No. 1 is salt. And a good bit of it. 
No. 2,  you must pour the oats into boiling water, on the stove top. It changes the texture. No microwaved oats for me, thank you.

So- measure out your water in a pot and start it to boil. Measure out your oats, I actually prefer store brand oats, I usually buy organic, either old fashioned or quick oats. The quick oats have a finer texture.
I pour the oats into a bowl while I'm waiting for the water to boil and pour a bit of salt into the palm of my hand, probably a 1/4 tsp or so for one serving. Add cinnamon, as much or as little as you like and any other favorite spices. Pour the oats into the boiling water and stir, immediately turn down the heat to simmer (if you have a cooktop stove, which I now do, this takes a bit of practice with the timing so the oats don't boil over), then add your favorite dried fruit. I like to buy organic dried fruit: cranberries, cherries, raisins, chopped prunes or apricots, currants. 
Cook according to package directions (1 min for quick oats, 3 min for old fashioned). I like to top my oats with chopped, toasted nuts. I used to put some brown sugar, but my palette has changed since I've gone off the sugar so I'm happy with a bit of almond or coconut milk which is lightly sweetened. If you need sweetener try a little honey or maple syrup. I recently discovered a wonderful alternative to brown sugar. I chopped up some dates with some roasted almonds very fine and it was sweet, crunchy and delicious and my sweet toothed boyfriend was happy without the sugar. (Whole dates remind me of dried out palmetto bugs, but once they are finely chopped with the nuts they are visually appealing. :)

Start your day off with this breakfast several times a week and you are well on your way to your healthy diet switch over.

No comments:

Post a Comment