Tuesday, May 7, 2013



Quinoa is an ancient grain (or grain like food) that is high in protein and amino acids. It can be substituted for rice or pasta in dishes, supplementing a high nutritional content. It has a rather bland, but slightly nutty flavor and a fine texture.
Cooking it is simple, especially if you buy the kind that is pre-rinsed*. You can cook it in broth to add more flavor. 

Put your quinoa in a saucepan that has a tight fitting lid. Measure the ratio 1 part quinoa to 1 1/2 parts liquid. In other words, if you are using 1 cup of quinoa, use 1 1/2 c. of liquid. Bring it to a boil, turn down, cover and simmer for 15 min. When that time is up take the pot off the heat and place a clean, folded dish towel over the top and put the lid back on to absorb excess moisture.

Once you have cooked quinoa you can use it to make many different recipes: pilaf, salads, etc. 
In the above picture I have used it as a simple backdrop for my piccata style swai and it was a perfect complement.

To cook the swai I heated a non stick skillet on medium and melted a bit of butter in it with a couple drops of olive oil to keep it from burning. I washed the swai and seasoned one side with salt and pepper. When my pan was ready (the butter will stop sizzling) I added the fish, seasoned side up. I then grated the zest of 1/2 lemon (I wash my lemons) and squeezed all the juice onto it. I had to turn my pan up to high at this point. After a couple minutes I turned the fish and the butter was sizzling back up nicely, with the water content evaporating. I turned the fish one more time and then added about a tsp of capers.

The squash medley I made last night. My friend signed up for a fresh produce co-op and brought me a basket of several different kinds of squash. Well, there's no sense in letting fresh veggies get old in your fridge, so I cooked it all up, sauteing it in olive oil with some onion and both fresh and dried herbs and a little salt and pepper. I've eaten it twice and still have more for another meal, which is a plus as far as I'm concerned.


Here's a little tip to help control your eating: Take your supplements before you sit down to a meal with a full glass of water, it will help to fill up your belly. Or, take them after your meal to keep you from going back for seconds, as I do. I admit, I devoured that entire plate of food pictured and it barely made a dent. By time I take my vitamins and drink down the water I will be full. :)


*Afternote: rinse your quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. I used the pre-rinsed kind today and after eating it have noticed a slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment